Everyday Superfoods: 4 simple & healthy Quinoa Recipes
Sharing is caring!
Completely You: Food
Everyday Superfoods: 4 simple & healthy Quinoa Recipes
By Hillary Tonken for completely You
The “Everyday Superfoods” series shows you exactly how to utilize healthy components to make easy dishes full of flavor. inspect out previous articles in the series about kale, oats and beans.
Even though it’s thought about a whole grain, quinoa (pronounced “keen-wah”) is actually an ancient seed that’s rapidly become one of our preferred superfoods at completely You. It has a rich, nutty flavor and because it cooks in just 15 minutes, it can be on the table much more rapidly than just about any other grain.
Plus, quinoa is high in calcium — which is so essential for teeth and bones — is both gluten- and cholesterol-free, and offers all nine important amino acids, making it a complete protein. In fact, it’s so nutritious that the U.N. has actually designated 2013 as “The Year of Quinoa” in really hopes that it can assist end hunger and malnutrition around the world. It’s a truly very superfood!
Quinoa can be discovered in many supermarkets and health and wellness foods stores in all three of its varieties: white, red and black. There is no difference in health and wellness benefits among the different colors, so feel totally free to utilize the quinoa of your choice.
Flavor tip: before cooking, always rinse quinoa or it will be bitter. just location quinoa in a strainer and run cold water over the top. Drain and cook according to recipe directions. While there are pre-rinsed quinoa brands available, it never hurts to rinse these again before using. because quinoa has much more fat in it than other grains, I suggest storing it in the refrigerator or freezer to avoid it from going rancid.
So why not try some quinoa tonight? You’ll be delighted you did.
Quinoa and Chickpea Burgers With Honey MustardTry this sunny version of veggie burgers utilizing cooked quinoa and chickpeas. Quinoa packs in an huge amount of protein and vitamins to keep you powered up throughout your day. look for chickpeas in BPA-free cans, such as those made by Eden Organics.
Related exactly how to handle tension and emotional eating While staying at Home
Ingredients4 tablespoons additional virgin olive oil, divided1 little onion, minced1 big clove garlic, chopped1/2 teaspoon ground cuminPinch cayenne pepper1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed2 cups chicken brothOne 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed1 big egg1/2 cup diced roasted red pepper1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsleySalt and freshly ground black pepper to tasteHoney mustard for topping
Directions1. In a medium saute pan, over high flame, warm two tablespoons of the olive oil. add onion and garlic and cook 5 to 7 minutes up until the onion is translucent and somewhat golden. add the cumin and cayenne and cook, stirring, one minute longer. stir in the quinoa and toss to coat in the onion mixture. add the chicken broth and give a boil over high heat. decrease to a simmer and cover. cook 15 minutes or up until the liquid is absorbed. eliminate from the warm and amazing completely.
2. Meanwhile, location the chickpeas in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade and process up until finely chopped. add egg and blend well for 30 seconds longer. transfer chickpea blend to a big bowl and combine with cooled onion/quinoa mixture, red pepper, breadcrumbs, cilantro or parsley, and salt and pepper.
3. Divide the blend into 4 spheres and shape each into a 2-inch thick patty. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
4. preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with foil and reserve. In a big sauté pan, warm the staying 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. When hot, location patties on pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side (or up until golden brown). transfer patties to the baking sheet and continue to cook in oven 15 minutes. serve with honey mustard.
Related 4 practices for a healthier Thanksgiving
Quinoa breakfast CerealThink oatmeal andcream of wheat are the only hot cereals worth eating? tekrar inan. wait up until you try cooked quinoa with this combination of warm spices and wonderful and nutty add-ins. You may never look back
Ingredients1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milkPinch of salt1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon1 tablespoon orange juice1 teaspoon grated orange rind, optional1/2 cup diced dried apricots1/2 cup dried cranberries1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
Directions1. In a 2-quart saucepot over high heat, combine the almond milk, salt, cinnamon, orange juice and orange rind over high heat. When blend reaches a boil, stir in the quinoa, cover and decrease warm to a simmer. cook 15 minutes or up until all of the liquid has been absorbed. eliminate from warm and let sit 1 to 2 minutes.
2. stir in staying components and serve immediately.
Ingredients1 cup uncooked quinoa2 tablespoons olive oil1 little onion, minced1 big stalk celery, diced1 big carrot, peeled and diced1 clove garlic, minced1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaf1 bay leaf2 cups vegetable or chicken broth1/4 cup chopped fresh parsleySalt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions1. If toasting quinoa, location it in a large, dry sauté pan over high heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, 3 to 5 minutes or up until you hear the quinoa begin to pop and turn golden. eliminate from warm and rinse before using. set aside.
2. In a 2-quart saucepan over high flame, warm oil. When hot, cook onion, celery, carrot, and garlic for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring, up until softened. add thyme and bay leaf and cook 2 minutes longer. add quinoa and broth, and give a boil. decrease to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or up until all liquid is absorbed. stir in chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. eliminate bay leaf before serving.
beans are available in your supermarket’s freezer section.
Baharatlı yiyecekler için hardal tohumu kullanma
Serves 4 to 6
Salad:1 cup uncooked black or white quinoa1 pound cooked salmon, broken into chunks1 cup shelled and cooked edamame1 ½ cups cherry tomato halves1 bunch scallions, chopped1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsleyJuice of one lemon
Dressing:¼ cup white balsamic vinegar1 little shallot, minced1 clove garlic, minced1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard1/2 cup additional virgin olive oilSalt and pepper, to taste
Directions1. warm 2 cups of water with a pinch of salt in a 2-quart sauce pan over high heat. When it reaches a boil, add quinoa, stir, cover and decrease warm to a simmer. Simmer 15 minutes or up until the liquid is absorbed. amazing completely.
2. combine cooked, cooled quinoa with other salad components and toss gently. set aside.
3. For the dressing, combine vinegar, shallot, garlic and mustard in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. blend well. With motor running, slowly add oil to food processor in a thin stream up until combined. add dressing to salad and toss gently. season with salt and pepper to taste.
Like this “Everyday Superfoods” article? inspect out previous articles in the series about kale, oats and beans.
is a expert chef with much more than 30 years experience and has done whatever in the food service from cookbook author to photographic food stylist and culinary institution instructor. She is a regular contributor to completely You.
Did you discover this info helpful? Click right here to show your support for The healthy mothers Magazine.
Link to this post:Everyday Superfoods: 4 simple & healthy Quinoa Recipes